Medical Assistance:

If you are a national from either a EU Member State you should have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC, Italian acronym: TEAM) obtained in your home country from your National healthcare authority. The European Health Insurance Card (or EHIC) allows to receive medical treatment in another member state for free, or at a reduced cost.


A patient contribution is required for prescriptions, medical examinations, oral and dental care. Non European Students: must take out an International Health Insurance which covers costs related to medical treatment and admission to hospital. This kind of insurance costs about 60 EUR for a period of 6 months and 120 EUR for a period of 12 months. Nevertheless, in order to avoid problems it is advisable to contact insurance agencies before leaving for  Spain and Italy.

An insurance policy is compulsory if you apply for a residence permit.


Travel Insurance:

Your health insurance will likely not cover any damage or loss of belongings during travel and stay.

Useful Items:


Photocopies of important documents (eg. your passport. Non EU students will need the copy of every single page of their passport for the Permit of Stay procedures)

Health insurance (private) and European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

Any medical certificates

Passport photos

Receipts for any electronic equipment

Stock up any medication you may use

Visa Requirements

Universidad de Córdoba

Non E.U. Citizens need to request a national student visa (for more than 90 days) at the Spanish embassy or consulate of their jurisdiction over your permanent residence, not your school address. You will find below the basic application requirements. However, it is important that students verify their consulate's web site for any additional requirements:

- A complete visa application

- Passport size photographs

- Passport (length of validity after your program will vary, usually valid for at least 6 months after the end date of your program)

- Personal Identification

- Alien Registration Card (for non US citizens)

- Letters of Admission demonstrating that you are a full time student and information regarding your program.

- UCO Invitation Letter

- VCU Invitation Letter

- Proof of Economic Support (Bank Statements, etc..., check with Consulate to confirm other documentation). Proof of financial aid or scholarship for at least $1,000 per month for room and board.

-  Notarized letter from your parents or legal guardians assuming full financial responsibility for at least $1,000 per month for room and board. Suggested wording: ?I hereby certify that I'm the (father/mother/other) of (...), will support him/her with a monthly allowance of at least $1,000 while he/she is in Spain and that I'm financially responsible for any emergency that may arise".

- Personal bank account statements showing at least $1,000 per month of stay.

- Proof of Medical insurance (all study abroad students pay a $150 Education Abroad Fee which includes an ISIC that provides basic minimal health insurance.  Students may also have to purchase additional coverage.  The Spanish Consulate can answer this question)

- Medical Certificate from your physician (usually only required for stays over 180 days). Consult the specific requirements of your consulate. International insurance coverage for health/accident with a minimum coverage equal to ?30,000 during the planning period of stay in Spain (or its equivalency in dollars).

- Proof regarding your criminal record is usually only required for stays over 180 days. Please note that all consulates in the United States now require an FBI background check with the Apostille Seal of The Hague for students staying over 180 days in Spain. The background check can take up to or over 12 weeks to process. Please check your Consulate´s webpage for further details.

- Airline ticket

- Payment of your Visa fees



Università di Messina


You must apply for an Italian  student visa (D-Type for more than 90 days period) through the Italian Embassy or your nearest consulate. You should apply to the consulate with jurisdiction over your permanent residence, not your school address. Please note that each consulate may differ slightly in its application requirements for the visa. You should phone the consulate in your jurisdiction to confirm visa requirements, whether an in-person appointment is necessary, and hours of business.

Consulate requirements change frequently and consulates will not accept incomplete applications or those that do not comply with each consulate's criteria. Be sure to inquire as soon as you receive your acceptance letter. Holders of student visas are required to enter Italy within 60 days of the issuance of the visa. Remember to ask how long your relevant consulate takes to process the applications, so that you will not submit it too early or too late. Student visas are valid until the end of the course.

The following items are usually required:

- Application form filled out completely, signed, and presented personally by the applicant with one recent passport-size photograph glued to the form,

- Passport valid at least three months beyond the applicant's planned stay in Italy;

- Driver's license or State I.D. as proof of residence in the consulate's jurisdiction. Submit the requested document in original and photocopy;

- Official Letter of Acceptance from your host institution indicating that you have been admitted. The letter must be original, on the official letterhead of the institution, stamped with the official seal of the institution, and signed. The letter must contain the following information:
- Name of the student, and complete name and address of the host institution;
- Exact period of study (day/month/year) and weekly hours;
- The indication that tuition, room and board, and health insurance are covered or that you have made arrangements with the host institution for the same;

- Cost of the Visa: No fee is currently required, but this is subject to change. Verify before submitting a visa application;

- Affidavit of Financial Support: Your parent or guardian must complete this form to provide financial guarantees during your stay in Italy. The person responsible for the student must provide proof of adequate financial means, attaching his/her recent bank statement or a letter from the bank with the balance of the account(s). Students who are financially self-sufficient should provide a notarized original letter addressed to the Italian Consulate stating that they own private means of support. If the applicant is a recipient of financial aid, the amount given for the semester should be indicated for an amount not less than EUR 350.57 per month for each month of the academic year (Ministerial Decree of 20 November 2001, published in OJ No 283, 5.12.2001);

- Affidavit of Health Insurance: Proof of health insurance must be shown on your arrival to the local Police Office (Questura>), the office in charge of issuing your residence permit (Permesso di Soggiorno per motivi di studio>). For insurance coverage, medical care and hospitalization (Art. 39 TU No. 286/1998 and Directive c.3 01.03.2000 of the Ministry of Interior) are subject to the following formulas:
a) consular declaration stating that the right to health care resulting from agreement between Italy and the country of origin;
b) foreign insurance policy, accompanied by a consular declaration on its validity in Italy, its duration and forms of assistance provided, which must not include limitations or exceptions to the fees established for emergency hospitalization for all his/her life;
c) insurance firms or domestic companies, such as the National Insurance Institute, INA offering in agreement with the Ministry of Health a special policy to cover such risks in case of other organizations or companies other than INA the policy must be accompanied by a declaration of the insurer which specifies no restrictions or exceptions to the tariffs provided for emergency hospitalization for all his/her life.
As far as the insurance for medical treatment and hospital admissions (Rule 39 c.3 TU No 286/1998 and Directive 01.03.2000 of the Ministry of Interior), the student must demonstrate possession, when applying for residence permit.

- Some consulates may also require a letter from your home institution. The letter should be on university letterhead, bearing an authoritative signature and the seal of the institution. It should verify that you are enrolled at the university as a full-time bona fide student pursuing a degree program, and that you will return to that university to complete the degree program after your exchange in Italy.

If you plan to apply for your visa by mail, it is recommended that you mail your application and all documents by certified mail with return receipt, so that you will know the consulate received your documents. It may take 15-30 days to process your application. Mailed applications must also follow certain procedures. All signatures on the application and affadavit forms must be submitted in original and photocopy and must be notarized (photocopy only will result in the refusal of the application). Passport and original documents will be returned exclusively by prepaid and preaddressed "Express Mail" envelopes from the U.S. Postal Service. Note that not all Italian Consulates will accept visa applications by mail. It is a good idea to bring copies of these documents with you to Italy in case you need them for your permesso di soggiorno.

Address: 3000 Whitehaven Street, NW Washington, DC 20008
Tel: 0012026124400
Fax: 0012025182154
E-mail: stampa.washington @

Duties upon arrival in Italy

Within eight days of arrival in Italy, candidates must submit an application for a Residency Permit (Permesso di Soggiorno) for study/University to the city's police jurisdiction in which they intend to establish their own home.
The petition may be filed through post offices using the kit available at the same offices. When submitting the application for a residence permit the foreigner will be identified and will be required to pay 27.50 euro through a special bulletin of the postal for issuing a residence permit in electronic format and from EUR 30.00 pay to the post office for the cost of the service.
Upon submission of the case to the post office, the foreign student will receive notice of the meeting which will be indicated on the day must report to police headquarters with the following documents:

- An Application Form which you will be given upon arrival

- Passport and photocopy of every single page (please make copies before arrival)

- 4 recent and identical passport-size photographs

- VISA documentation and any letter issued and stamped by the Consulate (make additional photocopies)

- A certificate of enrolment issued by University of Messina (provided upon arrival)

- Photocopy of health insurance coverage

- A revenue stamp (marca da bollo) of ?14,62 to purchase upon arrival.

A special orientation session will be organized to assist you in completing the Residency Permit application.

Virgina Commonwealth University

EU students must apply for Nonimmigrants J1 Visa at nearest U.S. general consulate or embassy.

Consulate requirements change frequently and consulates will not accept incomplete applications or those that do not comply with each consulate's criteria. Be sure to inquire as soon as you receive your acceptance letter.

Application Forms For Non-Immigrant Visas - Exchange Visitors (J visa)

Nonimmigrant visa applicants applying for a visa are required to complete the new DS-160, mandatory as of June 1, 2010. Appointments made for June 1 and beyond REQUIRE that you complete the new DS-160, and upload your photo electronically. You may access and fill out the new form found at this link:

For appointments made for June 1, 2010 and beyond, the Consulate will ONLY accept the new DS-160 form. Applicants who do not present the DS-160 form as of June 1, 2010 will NOT be interviewed and MUST reschedule their appointments, through the call center, for the next available date.

The DS-160 is web-based and once completed, transmits the applicant?s data to the post where s/he will apply for the visa. As the data is collected electronically, it means that we will be able to conduct various forms of pre-processing and pre-screening in advance of the application which should reduce processing delays.

Bring the Confirmation Page to the Visa Interview

After completing the DS-160 online application, be sure to print the confirmation page generated by the online system and bring that page to the visa interview.  You are welcome to print the entire application form for your own records, but you must bring the confirmation page to your visa interview.  Applicants who arrive at the Embassy on or after June 1, 2010 without this confirmation page cannot be interviewed. We suggest that you save the confirmation page to a pen drive and email it to your email address in case you would need to access it away from your house.

Scanned bio passport page

VCU Acceptance Letter

Home institution Letter

DS-2019  -This document will be processed by VCU International Office and delivered together with invitation letters. Please contact your home institution referee.

SEVIS Fee Receipt  - please click here

Health Insurance requirements - please click here

TDC&L Action is financed by European Union and FIPSE?